Tenancy Laws – What To Do If You Think Your Rent Increase Is Too High

To find out about tenancy laws if you think your rent increase is too high, or looking at increasing the rent of your tenants contact Consumer Affairs Victoria for assistance.

You can request a rent assessment if you think a rent increase is too high or you are not receiving some or any of the services, facilities or other items that are part of the tenancy agreement.

A request for a rental assessment must be made in writing within 30 days of receiving a ‘Notice of Rent Increase to Tenant/s of Rented Premises’.

You have 30 days from receiving the rent assessment report to apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a hearing. VCAT may set a maximum rent if the report is accepted.

For more information on tenancy laws and your rights as a tenant or landlord, download the “Renting a Home, a guide for tenantsRenting a Home, a guide for tenants” document published by Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s